Web Publishing and Design Assignments
Project 1 - Student Bio Website (10%):
- Set up a site with at least four pages with bio info, links and one image on each page. One page will be an Assignments or Portfolio page (or similar) that will hold links to other projects.
- Rubric for Project 1
- Skills learned: Beginning HTML, images, Web hosting
Project 2 - Student Bio Website Redesign (10%):
- Use HTML, CSS and Photoshop, to redesign the personal site you originally made.
- Rubric for Project 2
- Skills learned: CSS, Photoshop
Project 3 - Hobby or Organization Responsive Design Site (10%):
- Set up a website for a hobby or organization that you are affiliated (at least four pages total) using Twitter Bootstrap. This must be a new site - not a redesign of an existing site.
- Rubric for Project 3
Troubleshooting Exercise (5%):
- You will be given an HTML page with a series of coding problems. Fix the coding problems, so it looks like the one presented on the screen.
- Click here to download the quiz files.
- Skills learned: Troubleshooting a web page
Final Project Proposal (5%):
- Come up with different story ideas. Discuss and decide on one. Send me an
email that outlines your idea. I will need the story angle, story significance, people
you hope to interview, pages you hope your site will contain and ideas for at least
three multimedia components. Required multimedia components: a video, a photo gallery and a data visualization component (i.e. interactive map, calendar, infographic, etc.) Your topic MUST be an issue that is timely and journalistic in nature. Your job is to
tell a story that matters or is compelling.
- Rubric for Final Project Proposal
- Which type of design works best with reporting and nature of content.
Responsive Design Exercise (5%):
- Convert your student bio website into a responsive site by adding media queries and making other small changes to CSS.
- Rubric for Responsive Design Exercise
- Skills learned: Media Queries, Advanced CSS
iMovie Exercise (5%):
- Apply basic video shooting and editing concepts like cropping, splitting clips, adding audio and transitions to tell a multimedia story.
- Rubric for iMovie Exercise
- Skills learned: iMovie
Photo Gallery Exercise (5%):
Final Project (30%):
- Install WordPress onto your website, and create a multimedia reporting project. Must be at least five pages and include video, images, links, widgets, interactivity and all original content.
- Rubric for Final Project
- Skills learned: HTML, design, multimedia or animation skills that best fit nature of reporting project