MC4382Y Mobile Storytelling in the Parks Weekend in the Park
We'll spend a weekend at Bastrop State Park in late February, where you will produce social content for Texas Parks and Wildlife. You'll meet at the park headquarters on Friday, February 24. Time is TBD. You must be on time because we will have to sign waivers from TPWD, get a tour and go in as a group so fees are waived. If you are late, you will have to pay the entrance fee and catch up at your own. We'll stay in cabins Friday and Saturday nights, and we'll leave Sunday afternoon.
Receive hands-on experience with mobile storytelling, produce content that Texas Parks and Wildlife can use and inspire other college students to explore the outdoors in our state parks.
- You will need an external charger for your phone. You can purchase one on Amazon for less than $20.
- You will need proper outdoor shoes and clothing. You will be taking part in physical activity and will need to be comfortable. Please know there is a good chance your clothes could get dirty.
- You will be required to utilize Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat for your class assignments. Make sure you are on these networks and have open accounts so Texas Parks and Wildlife and your audience can potentially share your content.
- In addition, it may be cold during our weekend in the park. If so, make sure you bring a jacket or something to keep your warm while outside.
- Bring a flashlight.
- Bring a reusable water bottle.
- While we will be staying in cabins, the beds have no bedding. So please bring sheets, pillows, blankets or a sleeping bag for you to sleep on.
Park trip guidelines
- It is a 45-minute drive to Bastrop State Park from Texas State University. You are responsible for travel to and from the park, and carpooling is encouraged. You need to arrive on time Friday to begin signing TPWD waivers at the park. If you have allergies, asthma or medication you take on a regular basis, make sure you bring everything you need to the park.
- You are free to share your experiences on Twitter or whichever other social networks you use. Our class hashtags will be #txstateparks, #betteroutside and #txst.
- Make sure you follow TPWD’s guidelines regarding talent waiver when doing interviews. We’ll discuss this more at the park.
- You will be expected to follow all state park rules.
- Alcohol is not allowed to be consumed in public inside a state park. In addition, you will not be allowed to consume alcohol inside the cabins during our stay. State park police patrol all state parks 24/7, and they’re very good at their jobs. We’re there to learn and enjoy the outdoors, not create problems with park police.
- We will need to keep noise under control, especially at night. Please keep in mind there will be families and others camping at Bastrop State Park.
Hopefully this is the only time we have to talk about these rules and guidelines. I am confident we will not only have a fantastic time at Garner State Park, but you’ll also learn quite a bit.
Thanks again for being part of this course!